Summer Salads Recipes
The contrasting flavors and textures of crisp, sweet watermelon and creamy, tangy goat cheese are magical partners. Top with sliced grilled chicken to make it a meal.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 20 mins
Servings: 5 servings, 2 cups each
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups watercrest, tough stems removed, or mixed salad greens (5 ounces)
- 4 cups diced seedless watermelon, (about 3 pounds with the rind) (see Tips)
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion, (1/4 small)
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, (2 ounces), toasted (see Tips)
Whisk oil, orange juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. Add watercress, watermelon and red onion; toss to coat. Divide among 5 plates. Top with goat cheese and hazelnuts to serve.
Tips: Melon selection & storage: Look for symmetrical unblemished melons, without flat sides, that have a creamy yellow spot on the bottom indicating ripeness. At 92% water, this fruit should feel heavy when you heft it. Precut melon flesh should be dense, firm and appear moist. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or keep in a cool, dark spot. Cover the cut surface of melon with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
To toast chopped hazelnuts: Toast in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
I love summer salads that include fruits! This is a yummy salad I tried and loved!